Import regulations for used and new cars from Japan to Kenya
Brand New or used cars imported to Kenya are shipped to the maritime port of Mombasa by either RORO or container.
When importing a used vehicle to Kenya, one must consider that the vehicle should be not older than 8 years.
Road Worthiness Inspection (JEVIC Inspection)
Used vehicles imported to Kenya must undergo a “Road Worthiness Inspection”. Road Worthiness Inspection in case of all imports of used cars from Japan to Kenya must be performed by JEVIC: jevic/roadworthiness-kenya/
QIS is a strict vehicle safety inspection test. It ensures that the vehicle being sent has genuine mileage, has no damage to the chassis, all lights are working, no major rust, has tyres that are safe enough to drive with, has good working brakes and the constant velocity joints are not worn out.
All used cars exported to Kenya by Japan Car Direct pass the QIS Inspection and have a QIS certificate.
Import Taxation in Kenya
Please see: http://www.dutycalc.co.ke/ to calculate the Kenya side duty.
- The calculation is based on the Current Retail Selling Price (CRSP) where the subject model is still in production, and if the subject vehicle model is not in production the CRSP that applies is the last retail selling price or how much it was costing before non-production. KRA have a well-organized vehicle prices data base for all vehicles that they use and provide online for reference (Please see current CRSP rates here: kra.customs-services).
- Depending on the age of the subject vehicle you obtain the depreciation Rate again from their set templates.
- The Import Duty, Excise Duty, VAT and IDF Fee are set, and the Total Tax (Duty) is obtained. However there is an additional vehicle Registration cost that needs to be paid to KRA before the vehicle can leave the CFS. All vehicles must have a registration a number, and insurance coverage before they are allowed to leave the CFS.
- Once the Vehicle is in the Port of Mombasa, they may give you Free storage for a number of days depending on the CFS, after which the vehicle begins to attract charges if it exceeds the free storage days.
- You also have to pay for clearing charges which are approximately Ksh 40,00 to Ksh 50,000 per vehicle.
- The importer to inquire the duty in comparison to CC, Year Model and other modalities.
- The motor vehicle is identified through internet such as Kobe, Papera, IBC JAPAN, Autorec etc.
- Currency commonly used USD, Japanese YEN.
- The Pro-forma details are sent through your email.
- The model currently for importation allowed by Kenyan law for used vehicles is 2007.
- Make negotiations i.e discounts<./li>
- Japan shall confirm on the negotiation on FOB USD values or on the total CIF USD Mombasa.
- Importer will make his payment to his Japan car sell through account given on the Pro-forma invoice or the agent authorized such as TRADE CAR VIEW for safe custody of car payment but will commission to make his down payment through our reputable local banks.
- The importer to have the receipt for remittances and thereafter email it to his agent in Japan.
- Japan trader shall confirm payment against the stock number and thereafter inspection shall be done.
- It will take an average of 2 weeks for inspection to be done and one month for delivery of the Documents on the Importation, Bill of Lading, Japan Log Book Original, Translated Logbook, Japan Inspection Report and Final invoice
Kenya Customs procedures Shipping lines
- 3 original B/L – First Original for shipping line signed by the owner
- Japan Logbook
- QIS Report
- Invoice – value to be compared to CRSP guideline
- PIN copy
- ID copy
- IDF fees advance payment of Kshs 5000 to KRA
- Manifest reference inquiry from shipping lines
- Your agent to declare the cargo to KRA –Tradex System- Duty paid
- The cargo to be verified with KRA to satisfaction on values and vehicles details
- The CFS/ Port charges secured
- 4 days free – for clearance
- Port charges / CFS-stations charges payment
- The car cleared
- Other payments related for clearance:
- Agent Agencies
- Fuel to destination
- Driver option
KRA Duty Formulation
- Customs Value = CIF USD Msa x Exchange rate
- Duty = CV x Duty Rate of 25%
- Excise Value = CV +Import payable
- EX/D/P = Ex/V x EX/R of 20%
- Vat/V = EX/Duty + EX/Value
- VAT = V/V x VAT rate 16%
- RDL = CV x 1.5% rate
- IDF = 2.25% of CV
- Registration as per attached chart-varies in engine capacities
- Trade Levy varied as per volume CBM
- TOTAL DUTY PAYABLE = 1 to 10 ITEMS ABOVE
First time importing a vehicle and Taylor did a great job guiding me the entire way! 5 star service! Excited about my new mini truck!Ryan White1/18/2022
Good experience throughout the entire process. They had the patience to help me find what I was looking for, when it arrived it was in great condition as I expected... read moreMichael Jones1/13/2022
First time customer review:
All around a great company to work with. Mathew was very responsive and helped me throughout the entire process. With this being the first time importing a... read moreAdam Fifield1/10/2022
My sales rep at JCD, Taylor, was amazing. He was quick to get me auction info, provided me good insights on possible price points, and was ready to answer any... read moreDerek Rucker12/15/2021
Mathew was extremely patient with me from start to finish, during a time when COVID backlogs and the Suez canal blockage happened - can only imagine this being mega stressful... read moreAdam Delaney11/24/2021
10 stars for service! This was my first time importing, we used JCD on a recommendation from a friend and I was really blown away by the service which Andrew... read moreJeff Cheok10/21/2021
In a time were lots of exporters are trying to make a quick dollar and sell you a rusty car, Japan Car Direct looks out for you and makes sure... read moreSebastian Kurpiel10/01/2021
Hey Matt, thanks for all the help in locating the perfect vehicle for our acreage. We cannot say enough good things about the service you provided. Your... read moreAngela Butler9/06/2021
After deciding to import a vehicle myself from Japan to the US, Japan car direct was one of the first names to come up. Of course this being the first... read moreLelandLs6 T7/28/2021
I had a great experience with Japan Car Direct. Matt helped answer all my questions and guide me thru the process successfully. Buying a car sight unseen can be stressful... read moreJake Metz7/19/2021
Great to do business with. Mathew was very helpful and guided me through the process to import a Nissan Elgrande. I can thoroughly recommend them for anyone else... read moreJonathan Pyne7/16/2021
I just bought a suzuki carry from Japan. Taylor was super helpful and supportive during the process, all the way up to picking up my truck at the port! Definitely... read moreLandon Sutherland7/01/2021
This was my first time ever purchasing vehicles from Japan. Mathew was recommend to me by a friend and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone else. Besides... read moreJonathan Wells6/21/2021
Mathew was great to work with and everything went well through the auction and export process. He was very patient with all my questions since it was my first... read moreJack Wagner5/29/2021
JCD was great to work with. Mathew was patient with me as I searched for my dream vehicle. He explained the process and helped me understand how to eliminate as... read moreGreg Thompson5/20/2021