Import regulations for used and new cars from Japan to Kenya
Brand New or used cars imported to Kenya are shipped to the maritime port of Mombasa by either RORO or container.
When importing a used vehicle to Kenya, one must consider that the vehicle should be not older than 8 years.
Road Worthiness Inspection (JEVIC Inspection)
Used vehicles imported to Kenya must undergo a “Road Worthiness Inspection”. Road Worthiness Inspection in case of all imports of used cars from Japan to Kenya must be performed by JEVIC: jevic/roadworthiness-kenya/
QIS is a strict vehicle safety inspection test. It ensures that the vehicle being sent has genuine mileage, has no damage to the chassis, all lights are working, no major rust, has tyres that are safe enough to drive with, has good working brakes and the constant velocity joints are not worn out.
All used cars exported to Kenya by Japan Car Direct pass the QIS Inspection and have a QIS certificate.
Import Taxation in Kenya
Please see: http://www.dutycalc.co.ke/ to calculate the Kenya side duty.
- The calculation is based on the Current Retail Selling Price (CRSP) where the subject model is still in production, and if the subject vehicle model is not in production the CRSP that applies is the last retail selling price or how much it was costing before non-production. KRA have a well-organized vehicle prices data base for all vehicles that they use and provide online for reference (Please see current CRSP rates here: kra.customs-services).
- Depending on the age of the subject vehicle you obtain the depreciation Rate again from their set templates.
- The Import Duty, Excise Duty, VAT and IDF Fee are set, and the Total Tax (Duty) is obtained. However there is an additional vehicle Registration cost that needs to be paid to KRA before the vehicle can leave the CFS. All vehicles must have a registration a number, and insurance coverage before they are allowed to leave the CFS.
- Once the Vehicle is in the Port of Mombasa, they may give you Free storage for a number of days depending on the CFS, after which the vehicle begins to attract charges if it exceeds the free storage days.
- You also have to pay for clearing charges which are approximately Ksh 40,00 to Ksh 50,000 per vehicle.
- The importer to inquire the duty in comparison to CC, Year Model and other modalities.
- The motor vehicle is identified through internet such as Kobe, Papera, IBC JAPAN, Autorec etc.
- Currency commonly used USD, Japanese YEN.
- The Pro-forma details are sent through your email.
- The model currently for importation allowed by Kenyan law for used vehicles is 2007.
- Make negotiations i.e discounts<./li>
- Japan shall confirm on the negotiation on FOB USD values or on the total CIF USD Mombasa.
- Importer will make his payment to his Japan car sell through account given on the Pro-forma invoice or the agent authorized such as TRADE CAR VIEW for safe custody of car payment but will commission to make his down payment through our reputable local banks.
- The importer to have the receipt for remittances and thereafter email it to his agent in Japan.
- Japan trader shall confirm payment against the stock number and thereafter inspection shall be done.
- It will take an average of 2 weeks for inspection to be done and one month for delivery of the Documents on the Importation, Bill of Lading, Japan Log Book Original, Translated Logbook, Japan Inspection Report and Final invoice
Kenya Customs procedures Shipping lines
- 3 original B/L – First Original for shipping line signed by the owner
- Japan Logbook
- QIS Report
- Invoice – value to be compared to CRSP guideline
- PIN copy
- ID copy
- IDF fees advance payment of Kshs 5000 to KRA
- Manifest reference inquiry from shipping lines
- Your agent to declare the cargo to KRA –Tradex System- Duty paid
- The cargo to be verified with KRA to satisfaction on values and vehicles details
- The CFS/ Port charges secured
- 4 days free – for clearance
- Port charges / CFS-stations charges payment
- The car cleared
- Other payments related for clearance:
- Agent Agencies
- Fuel to destination
- Driver option
KRA Duty Formulation
- Customs Value = CIF USD Msa x Exchange rate
- Duty = CV x Duty Rate of 25%
- Excise Value = CV +Import payable
- EX/D/P = Ex/V x EX/R of 20%
- Vat/V = EX/Duty + EX/Value
- VAT = V/V x VAT rate 16%
- RDL = CV x 1.5% rate
- IDF = 2.25% of CV
- Registration as per attached chart-varies in engine capacities
- Trade Levy varied as per volume CBM
- TOTAL DUTY PAYABLE = 1 to 10 ITEMS ABOVE
FIRST TIME BUYER
So…. I have just ordered my second car from Yoshiro Nakajima at Japan Car Direct. Keep in mind my first car has only just gotten to the port,... read moreAlpesh Patel9/11/2022
Great service. This was my first time importing a car from Japan. Everything was well explained and the whole process went very smooth. Would highly recommend!! Thank you Yoshi!John Power9/08/2022
Importing through Japan Car Direct has been a great experience through and through. Their assistance in the auction and bidding process and arranging shipping is top notch. More importantly their... read morePeter Hagemeyer9/07/2022
Awesome experience working with Taylor, he was extremely helpful and patience. It was my first time exporting a vehicle and he walked me through step by step and didn't... read moreEric Southerland9/06/2022
Japan Car Direct made buying a car from Japan dangerously easy. 🙂 Yoshiro was a great help. He was responsive and supportive through the whole process. They have... read moreTim Meunier9/04/2022
I had an excellent experience working with Matthew at Japan Car Direct. I was a first time auction buyer and importer to the United States. Mathew walked me through... read moreAlex Spiegel8/11/2022
A great experience for my first time importing a car from Japan. Mike’s customer service was second to none and all the paperwork was in order.Bobby Crumpley8/03/2022
Matthew at JCD is the man. I’ve now imported three of my own cars through him. JCD was able to accommodate my unique needs, everything from short turn around inspections,... read moreChan Shin7/29/2022
I highly recommend Japan Car Direct. They help you find exactly what you are looking for and are with you throughout the entire process. Import was seamless. Mike was great... read moreSir Selrahc7/14/2022
Before this I have never imported any vehicles to NZ let alone one from Japan! I decided to give these guys a shot and bought a JDM Tesla into the... read moreEdward Yuan7/11/2022
Great experience. Extremely easy process and Kept me well informed. Highly recommend them if looking to purchase a vehicle from Japan.Antonio Sevilla7/08/2022
It's hard to say anything that hasn't been said from other reviewers! This was my first experience importing a vehicle. Mike Nguyen was super patient with me and my indecisiveness.... read moreLaw_of_the Za6/30/2022
I used Japan Car Direct's services to import a Nissan Silvia from Japan to Australia. Mike was very helpful from start to finish and definitely made the process stress free.
The... read morematthew martin6/24/2022
Just picked up my car that I bought through JCD. I was a complete newbie about buying a car overseas and Mathew was kind enough to basically hold my... read moreTK Mad6/18/2022
I worked with Mathew on getting my first Japanese Kei truck. The process and communication were great. For me the back-and-forth communication was the reason why I decided to go... read moreJohn Penny6/12/2022