Vehicle Search Engine: Over 150,000 vehicles at auction weekly, plus thousands more on dealer lots.
Let’s find the ideal car for you today!!
Import regulations for used and new cars from Japan to Kenya
Brand New or used cars imported to Kenya are shipped to the maritime port of Mombasa by either RORO or container.
When importing a used vehicle to Kenya, one must consider that the vehicle should be not older than 8 years.
Road Worthiness Inspection (JEVIC Inspection)
Used vehicles imported to Kenya must undergo a “Road Worthiness Inspection”. Road Worthiness Inspection in case of all imports of used cars from Japan to Kenya must be performed by JEVIC: jevic/roadworthiness-kenya/
QIS is a strict vehicle safety inspection test. It ensures that the vehicle being sent has genuine mileage, has no damage to the chassis, all lights are working, no major rust, has tyres that are safe enough to drive with, has good working brakes and the constant velocity joints are not worn out.
All used cars exported to Kenya by Japan Car Direct pass the QIS Inspection and have a QIS certificate.
Import Taxation in Kenya
Please see: http://www.dutycalc.co.ke/ to calculate the Kenya side duty.
- The calculation is based on the Current Retail Selling Price (CRSP) where the subject model is still in production, and if the subject vehicle model is not in production the CRSP that applies is the last retail selling price or how much it was costing before non-production. KRA have a well-organized vehicle prices data base for all vehicles that they use and provide online for reference (Please see current CRSP rates here: kra.customs-services).
- Depending on the age of the subject vehicle you obtain the depreciation Rate again from their set templates.
- The Import Duty, Excise Duty, VAT and IDF Fee are set, and the Total Tax (Duty) is obtained. However there is an additional vehicle Registration cost that needs to be paid to KRA before the vehicle can leave the CFS. All vehicles must have a registration a number, and insurance coverage before they are allowed to leave the CFS.
- Once the Vehicle is in the Port of Mombasa, they may give you Free storage for a number of days depending on the CFS, after which the vehicle begins to attract charges if it exceeds the free storage days.
- You also have to pay for clearing charges which are approximately Ksh 40,00 to Ksh 50,000 per vehicle.
- The importer to inquire the duty in comparison to CC, Year Model and other modalities.
- The motor vehicle is identified through internet such as Kobe, Papera, IBC JAPAN, Autorec etc.
- Currency commonly used USD, Japanese YEN.
- The Pro-forma details are sent through your email.
- The model currently for importation allowed by Kenyan law for used vehicles is 2007.
- Make negotiations i.e discounts<./li>
- Japan shall confirm on the negotiation on FOB USD values or on the total CIF USD Mombasa.
- Importer will make his payment to his Japan car sell through account given on the Pro-forma invoice or the agent authorized such as TRADE CAR VIEW for safe custody of car payment but will commission to make his down payment through our reputable local banks.
- The importer to have the receipt for remittances and thereafter email it to his agent in Japan.
- Japan trader shall confirm payment against the stock number and thereafter inspection shall be done.
- It will take an average of 2 weeks for inspection to be done and one month for delivery of the Documents on the Importation, Bill of Lading, Japan Log Book Original, Translated Logbook, Japan Inspection Report and Final invoice
Kenya Customs procedures Shipping lines
- 3 original B/L – First Original for shipping line signed by the owner
- Japan Logbook
- QIS Report
- Invoice – value to be compared to CRSP guideline
- PIN copy
- ID copy
- IDF fees advance payment of Kshs 5000 to KRA
- Manifest reference inquiry from shipping lines
- Your agent to declare the cargo to KRA –Tradex System- Duty paid
- The cargo to be verified with KRA to satisfaction on values and vehicles details
- The CFS/ Port charges secured
- 4 days free – for clearance
- Port charges / CFS-stations charges payment
- The car cleared
- Other payments related for clearance:
- Agent Agencies
- Fuel to destination
- Driver option
KRA Duty Formulation
- Customs Value = CIF USD Msa x Exchange rate
- Duty = CV x Duty Rate of 25%
- Excise Value = CV +Import payable
- EX/D/P = Ex/V x EX/R of 20%
- Vat/V = EX/Duty + EX/Value
- VAT = V/V x VAT rate 16%
- RDL = CV x 1.5% rate
- IDF = 2.25% of CV
- Registration as per attached chart-varies in engine capacities
- Trade Levy varied as per volume CBM
- TOTAL DUTY PAYABLE = 1 to 10 ITEMS ABOVE
Awesome experience !! Their service was extremely good and efficient. Yoshiro was soo patient with my many requests for information and translations. The vehicle purchased was better than expected. I would definitely consider using their services again.
All I can say about the experience is AMAZING! I worked with Matthew and he was helpful through the whole process of bidding, purchasing, and shipping the car to me. He had an answer for every question, and was always quick to respond. Enjoying my new Mercedes and I will be using them again!
All around exceptional experience! Matt was great to work with and guided me through the entire process with ease. As a first timer, importing was a bit nerve racking but JCD did a great job providing a cool little truck I can enjoy here in Delaware. I look forward to picking up the next toy/vehicle through them.
The experienced, grizzled veterans of the import scene. They were very accommodating with all my questions and concerns. It was my first time importing, so everything was confusing and intimidating, but I'm happy to report everything went as planned! I'm definitely calling them back when I finally come up with an excuse to import another!
Mathew was great to work with and made what could be a scary daunting experience very easy. I am super happy with my car and am sure I will be importing with them again!
Working with Mathew and his team was an absolute pleasure. I went from never knowing you could import your own vehicle to owning my own Suzuki Cara within 6 months. Mathew was so helpful and completely transparent with me during the entire process. We spoke on the phone and via email and he helped me pick the perfect car exactly within my requirements. He dealt with my excitement and inexperience with patience and understanding. I couldn't be happier with my experience and will absolutely use Japan Car Direct again when it's time for another project. I highly recommend Mathew and Japan Car Direct.
Just purchased my second car through Japan Car Direct. Could not be more pleased with their customer service. Matt went above and beyond to help me find the right car. Translating countless auction sheets, messaging sellers, requesting vehicle inspections, putting up with me and my requests well after his time in the office, etc. I can happily and honestly say that I would recommend this company to anyone looking to purchase a car from Japan and that you will not be dissappinted. Very kind, helpful and professional. Can’t wait for vehicle number 3.
Mathew and the team are amazing. Bought my first Porsche in Japan and they have helped me all the way through. They are competent and honest people, will definitely be doing more business with them. Thanks guys!
Mat is is the best he was right on target and video descriptions are perfect. Shipping was alot faster than I thought it would be, as JCD didn't mess around. My van was at port and ready to go. I will be using JCD again soon, got my van now I want a car.
I hunted the internet for a broker I could trust with my money. JDC won and I am so happy I went with them. Matt and Yoshi are great. Matt puts up with a very demanding customer in me, I can certainly take up time. Matt sends me cars from the list I sent him, when I don't have time to check the auction. It is scary how accurate Matt is when I ask him to predict a selling price. He is always very close which sometimes is not fun but he really does know pricing. They have walked we through buying two cars now and have held my hand on both. I really apricate all the time and knowledge. After purchase they have also held my hand through the whole import process which can be daunting for a first timer. I am a dealer and Matt is great at suggesting other cars to import as well. I am very satisfied with my choice
What can I say? The service was friendly and good, and I got my car, which ended up being in a better condition than expected. Sure, there were couple of unforeseen snags that no-one had anticipated, but overall, it was an extremely positive experience. Hommat meni hyvin, auto tuli Suomeen eikä noiden pyytämä hintakaan ollut mikään mahdottoman paha.
I bought a 1993 RX7 FD from these guys they are great! Communication was very good, and prompt! Iv has my car now for 6 months and have been loving it! I would recommend emailing them and looking into the options! They are upfront about price and will steer you into the right direction on what the car will take to own! I’m working with Yoshiro to buy another car now! I’m very pleased with the service I received. It can be scary sending lots of money to a person you don’t know for a car you have never seen, but they will come through with everything they tell you they will do!
They've somehow made what was expected to be complicated, so simple. I got all the info I needed and imported my first JDM car without a single problem. Matthew was super fast to respond and always had an answer.
A must for exporting cars from Japan. I've exported various models with these guys now and they have been exactly how we wanted them with no underlying issues or surprises when they arrive. Very pleased and will continue to use these guys in the future!
This was my first time importing a vehicle for my personal use and naturally I was leary about who to go through. After looking through a few other places and after getting in touch with a longtime customer of theirs I decided to try these guys out. I can say without a doubt I'm glad I did. They are definitely professional and know their craft when it comes to getting you your dream car. Everything from getting cars inspected and bidding was completely transparent and went smoothly. I couldn't be happier with the car I bought and I hope down the line I'll be able to purchase another using these guys!! Thanks for all you guys do!!!