Import regulations for used cars to Canada
Quick Reference: ・15 years or older ・25 years old RHD exempt in Quebec・Legal nationwide ・Shipping to East and West ports ・Inland transport service・ Great resale value
Newer Imports to the North
The laws for importing left or right hand drive vehicles from countries other than America, allow for any vehicle (excluding buses) older than 15 years to the month, to be imported into Canada. One exception to the 15 year rule is for “competition vehicles”. Competition Vehicles are designed for use exclusively in closed-course competition. We have also received confirmation from the Quebec Department of Motor Vehicles that RHD vehicles 25 years or older may be imported and registered in Quebec, bypassing the ban.
RORO shipping is available to Vancouver / New Westminster and Halifax.
Canada Side Import Costs
The charges that you can expect to pay Canada side when importing a vehicle are as follows:
- $250.00+gst Customs clearance / brokerage (If there is more than one vehicle on the same BL the remainder are $50.00 each.
- $125 Dock charge / unloding of vehicle (could be a bit more if it’s an SUV / truck / larger vehicle)
- $100 Excise tax (if vehicle has air conditioning)
- $43 CFIA soil exam+gst if vehicle gets flagged for
- CFIA soil exam
- Duty 2.5% on Japanese makes / 4.4% on trucks / 6.1% on EU imports
- GST 5%
Disbursement 3.0% of the total of the invoice if payment is made by credit card (you can do a direct deposit to the bank if you want to save the disbursement cost)
Required Documents for Customs Clearance
After your vehicle is on the boat and heading for Vancouver we will courier you the following documents:
- Bill of Lading
- Export Certificate
- English Translation of Export Certificate
- Bill of Sale / Commercial Invoice
- Marine Insurance
- Unless you have experience with import, we recommend using a customs clearance broker to get your vehicle cleared. We have had very good experience with, and recommend http://thompsonlogistics.com
After the vehicle has landed, if you are doing the customs clearance yourself, you also require:
- Request for Release Approval form
- Cargo Control Abstract
- These will be faxed to you from the dock where the ship lands.
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) is available at Canadian Customs.
- Soil/agricultural inspection release provided by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). For further information call the CBSA 24/7 at: 1-800-461-9999
- Your vehicle will be processed by WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd., and can be picked up at Unit 100-820 Dock Road, Annacis Island, Delta, BC V3M 6A3W.
To have a private used vehicle released from WWL it is the responsibility of the consignee to supply all the required documents including but not limited to:
- Bill of Lading (surrendered)
- Soil/agricultural inspection release
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1)
- First you must call WWL at 604-528-8263 to make a reservation date to pick up your vehicle. You will not be able to pick up the vehicle before that date. No appointment is necessary on the pickup day. The office hours are Mon – Fri, (excluding holidays) 8:00am to 3:30pm. Upon arriving at WWL collect your “pick up” paperwork, in order to gain access to your vehicle. The main gates are closed at 4:30 so you must remove your vehicle from the premises before then.
WWL does not provide any type of vehicle starting services so you are advised to take jumper cables, battery pack, gasoline and any other required fluids etc. If you don’t pick your vehicle up on the reservation day, storage charges accrue starting on the 4th working day at $25/day, and double to $50/day starting on the 6th day. There is no charge for weekends and holidays.
All arrangements for pick up of the vehicle must be made by the consignee. The consignee must also provide the Bill of Lading number and/or the serial number of the vehicle(s), upon pick up. Terminal charges are due and payable prior to the release of the vehicle(s), and can be paid in cash or cheque. Cheques should be made payable to “WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd.”
If you want to do the importing yourself, we will support you every step of the way!
First time importing a vehicle and Taylor did a great job guiding me the entire way! 5 star service! Excited about my new mini truck!Ryan White1/18/2022
Good experience throughout the entire process. They had the patience to help me find what I was looking for, when it arrived it was in great condition as I expected... read moreMichael Jones1/13/2022
First time customer review:
All around a great company to work with. Mathew was very responsive and helped me throughout the entire process. With this being the first time importing a... read moreAdam Fifield1/10/2022
My sales rep at JCD, Taylor, was amazing. He was quick to get me auction info, provided me good insights on possible price points, and was ready to answer any... read moreDerek Rucker12/15/2021
Mathew was extremely patient with me from start to finish, during a time when COVID backlogs and the Suez canal blockage happened - can only imagine this being mega stressful... read moreAdam Delaney11/24/2021
10 stars for service! This was my first time importing, we used JCD on a recommendation from a friend and I was really blown away by the service which Andrew... read moreJeff Cheok10/21/2021
In a time were lots of exporters are trying to make a quick dollar and sell you a rusty car, Japan Car Direct looks out for you and makes sure... read moreSebastian Kurpiel10/01/2021
Hey Matt, thanks for all the help in locating the perfect vehicle for our acreage. We cannot say enough good things about the service you provided. Your... read moreAngela Butler9/06/2021
After deciding to import a vehicle myself from Japan to the US, Japan car direct was one of the first names to come up. Of course this being the first... read moreLelandLs6 T7/28/2021
I had a great experience with Japan Car Direct. Matt helped answer all my questions and guide me thru the process successfully. Buying a car sight unseen can be stressful... read moreJake Metz7/19/2021
Great to do business with. Mathew was very helpful and guided me through the process to import a Nissan Elgrande. I can thoroughly recommend them for anyone else... read moreJonathan Pyne7/16/2021
I just bought a suzuki carry from Japan. Taylor was super helpful and supportive during the process, all the way up to picking up my truck at the port! Definitely... read moreLandon Sutherland7/01/2021
This was my first time ever purchasing vehicles from Japan. Mathew was recommend to me by a friend and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone else. Besides... read moreJonathan Wells6/21/2021
Mathew was great to work with and everything went well through the auction and export process. He was very patient with all my questions since it was my first... read moreJack Wagner5/29/2021
JCD was great to work with. Mathew was patient with me as I searched for my dream vehicle. He explained the process and helped me understand how to eliminate as... read moreGreg Thompson5/20/2021