The law for importing left or right hand drive vehicles from countries other than America, allows for any vehicle (excluding buses) older than 15 years to the month, to be imported into Canada
One exception to the 15 year rule is for "competition vehicles". Competition Vehicles are designed for use exclusively in closed-course competition. These vehicles are exempt from the RIV program provided they bear an indelible bilingual label affixed by the manufacturer in a conspicuous location (usually on the fuel tank), stating: "This vehicle is a competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in closed-course competition” ("Ceci est /un véhicule de compétition destiné à être utilisé exclusivement dans les courses en circuit fermé”), or is accompanied by a signed declaration clearly indicating that the vehicle is a competition vehicle, and is for use exclusively in closed-course competition. This signed declaration must come from a racing sanctioning body, i.e. FIA, AMA, CART, etc. You also must get pre-shipment approval, by submitting a letter of intent, and pictures of the vehicle to Transport Canada (www.tc.gc.ca). If approved, it can be imported strictly for competition purposes.
How much will it all cost?
The approximate Japan side costs in Canadian dollars (depending on the current yen/dollar exchange rate, for example 100yen/$1.00), other than shipping which is calculated in $US consist of:
- Vehicle cost at auction
- $150-200 Auction house fee
- $60-120 Transportation to nearest port
- $150-200 Customs clearance
- $1000 Japan Car Direct fee
- Sample shipping cost to Vancouver RO/RO depending on the shipping line: US$80/90 M3, Mini Trucks US$615/695, Sports Coupe (Impreza STi) US$825/925, Long Wheel Base SUV (Land Cruiser Prado) US$1260/1410, Van (Delica) US$1270/1430
- Mini Truck $1500 at auction = $3,495 C&F Vancouver
- Impreza STi $3000 at auction = $5,300 C&F Vancouver
- Land Cruiser Prado $8000 at auction = $10,845 C&F Vancouver
- Mitsubishi Delica $2,200 at auction = $5070 C&F Vancouver
- $200-$300 Off-loading costs and customs clearance
- 6.1% Duty
- $100.00 Excise tax for air conditioning
- $43.00 CBSA Soil Examination Fee
- Additional excise taxes for vehicles over 2007kg
- 5% GST of (Vehicle Cost + Duty + Excise Taxes)
- PST if applicable in your province (payable at the time of registration)
Please inquire with regards to your location, and the number of vehicles you require.
Required Documents for Customs Clearance
After your vehicle is on the boat and heading for Vancouver we will courier you the following documents.
- Bill of Lading
- Export Certificate
- English Translation of Export Certificate
- Bill of Sale
- After the vehicle has landed, if you are doing the customs clearance yourself, you also require:
- Request for Release Approval form
- Cargo Control Abstract
- These will be faxed to you from the dock where the ship lands.
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) is available at Canadian Customs.
- Soil/agricultural inspection release provided by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). For further information call the CBSA 24/7 at: 1-800-461-9999
Your vehicle will be processed by WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd., and can be picked up at Unit 100-820 Dock Road, Annacis Island, Delta, BC V3M 6A3W. To have a private used vehicle released from WWL it is the responsibility of the consignee to supply all the required documents including but not limited to:
1) Bill of Lading (surrendered)
2) Soil/agricultural inspection release
3) Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1)
First you must call WWL at 604-528-8263 to make a reservation date to pick up your vehicle. You will not be able to pick up the vehicle before that date. No appointment is necessary on the pick up day. The office hours are Mon – Fri, (excluding holidays) 8:00am to 3:30pm. Upon arriving at WWL collect your "pick up” paperwork, in order to gain access to your vehicle. The main gates are closed at 4:30 so you must remove your vehicle from the premises before then.
WWL does not provide any type of vehicle starting services so you are advised to take jumper cables, battery pack, gasoline and any other required fluids etc. If you don’t pick your vehicle up on the reservation day, storage charges accrue starting on the 4th working day at $25/day, and double to $50/day starting on the 6th day. There is no charge for weekends and holidays.
All arrangements for pick up of the vehicle must be made by the consignee. The consignee must also provide the Bill of Lading number and/or the serial number of the vehicle(s), upon pick up. Terminal charges are due and payable prior to the release of the vehicle(s), and can be paid in cash or cheque. Cheques should be made payable to "WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd.”
Unless you have experience with import, we recommend using a customs clearance broker to get your vehicle cleared. We have had very good experience with, and recommend Courtney Agencies Ltd.
If you want to do the importing yourself we will support you in every way we can.
When you have satisfied all the import requirements, the Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) will be given to you by customs, or by your broker. Once you have your completed Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1), take the form and your proof of ownership documents into a registry agent in your home province. Based on these documents, they will provide you with the appropriate inspection request form that you need to present to the inspection station. Once you have the completed the inspection form, return to the registry agent with all the above mentioned documentation to have your "out of province” motor vehicle registered. There may be other requirements depending on your specific situation that a registry agent can assist you in determining.
For further information regarding importation and registration, please refer to the following Canadian, and Provincial Government web sites:
Prince Edward Island
Japan Car Direct provides friendly, honest, efficient service. Get the vehicles you want today at a price you can afford!!
We also accept deposits by PayPal to (email@example.com)
Log into your account and lets start working together today!
Let JCD take care of all your parts needs. As a licensed dealer we get a discount on new parts at all of the major manufacturers. We also have an excellent relationship with the local wrecker. There we can use their Japan wide network and order the exact used or rebuilt part you need. Just scan and mail, or fax us a copy of your export certificate to assure we get the correct parts for your vehicle. We will then have your part mailed directly to you for a nominal service fee.
CONTAINERS OF PARTS
According to our customers specifications, we select vehicles for dismantling at the lowest possible market prices. We have them dismantled as required, and packed into 20 or 40ft HC containers. 10-15 fully dismantled cars can be loaded into 20ft containers, and 20-25 fully dismantled cars into 40ft containers.
Let us take care of you. We'll work to find the best available vehicles at the very lowest possible price!!